Feedback from initial presentation (21/3/14)

The comments that I received from the group were generally very positive. All of the scenes through the piece made sense and appeared to have their attention. Some structural aspects needed to be addressed. I had a variety of small events that would join together in a final conclusion, however, each section needed a through line of action. As a result of this, much of my time recently has been focused on the transitions between each action so that the audience has a reasoning behind my movements. Unlike The Boy With Tape On His Face and Paul Currie, where the structure is a series of random events that don’t correlate (which in most cases is where the comedy stems from), I must justify every movement and transition so not to break the atmosphere.

Another issue is with the puppetry and making the movement as seamless as possible. This is mainly to do with creating the puppets from the clothes that I am wearing. It has become a challenge to incorporate this into the transitions without it looking messy. Through watching some examples of puppetry, I have noticed that generally the most exciting part of seeing the puppet is the initial reveal, so I need to practice creating the puppets so to not break to magic. It has been interesting to research puppetry as it appears to have more in common with magic than any other performance style. I feel this is due to the way in which both styles manipulate expectations and how the audience are as integral to the creation of the illusion as the magician or puppeteer. To me, in order for the puppetry to work, the reveal must be fast enough for the audience to question how It is done.

I have a show that has a lot of technical requirements which is very new to me. The composition of the stage becomes much more demanding as to where the technology is positioned and where I am in relation to it. The sound and videos are now integral to the piece. In the next coming weeks I shall be filming the Lionel Richie song, the office stereotype chins and the photocopier scenes. Once I have them I shall present some sneak peeks!