A shift in ideas

After the past few weeks of workshopping and rehearsals, I have found it necessary to change and edit my initial performance ideas. There were many factors that lead to this decision, but the main point was that the show still appeared like a collection of sketches, even with the transitions that were in place. I discovered that there was no through line of action that moved from one moment to the next. Also, the amount of multi-media and unique technical requirements such as the working photocopier became too much of a risk to rely on them. I felt that artistically, I had to have a show that could run even if all the multi-media failed during it.

My new concept is set within an office instead of an office party, as this will help me explore more themes related to the stigma behind office work. The piece still incorporates puppetry but there are narratives that now run throughout the entire piece that hold it all together. Firstly, there is a woman (symbolised by the sound of high heels walking passed the desk) who the office worker has a crush on and so the action revolves around his relationship with her. Also, the chin puppets remain as the stereotypes that run through the character’s head as he tries to cope with the stress and monotony of office life. In order to exaggerate this feeling further, I am going to remain stationary behind the desk, using the two televisions to create stage dynamics.

After working on this new concept for a couple of days, it has illustrated to me how important it is to question the value of your work. I feel an idea must be taken as far as it can so that you can see the possible end result. In this case, the end result was unclear and in need of fine tuning to suit my own performance style.  I aimed to incorporate influences from Paul Currie and The Boy With Tape On His Face, but by trying to utilise their techniques, I was limiting my own devising process.

I will be acquiring the video material very soon so I shall share that next time. Only two weeks until the show is performed 10.30 in studio 1.